Need help with a non-urgent medical or admin request? Contact us online.

Complaints Procedure

Any comment and suggestion is welcome and we have a suggestions box in the waiting room for this purpose.

We are committed to doing our very best for you at all times. However we are aware that circumstances can arise where you would wish to make a complaint. If you wish to make a formal complaint please inform the Practice Manager, either verbally or in writing. Using this procedure does not in any way affect your right to complain to NHS England or the independent Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman should you so wish.

We aim to treat our patients courteously at all times and expect our patients to treat our staff in a similarly respectful way.  We take seriously any threatening, abusive or violent behaviour against any of our staff or patients.  If a patient is violent or abusive, they will be warned to stop their behaviour.  If they persist, we may exercise our right to take action to have them removed, immediately if necessary, form our list of patients.

Making a complaint

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise with the person concerned and this may be the approach you try first.

Where you are not able to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing as soon as possible after the event and ideally within a few days, as this helps us to establish what happened more easily. In any event, this should be:

  • within 12 months of the incident or
  • within 12 months of you discovering that you have a problem.

State your case clearly giving as much detail as you can.

If you are a registered patient you can complain about your own care. You are unable to complain about someone else’s treatment without their written authority. See the separate section in this leaflet.

We are able to provide you with a separate complaints form to register your complaint and this includes a third-party authority form to enable a complaint to be made by someone else. Please ask at reception for this. You can provide this in your own format providing this covers all the necessary aspects.

Send your written complaint to:

The Practice Manager
Staithes Surgery
Seaton Crescent
TS13 5AY

What we do next

We look to settle complaints as soon as possible.

We will acknowledge receipt within three working days, and aim to have looked into the matter and replied within 20 working days. You may receive a formal reply in writing, or you may be invited to meet with the person(s) concerned to attempt to resolve the issue. If the matter is likely to take longer than this we will let you know, and keep you informed as the investigation progresses.

When looking into a complaint we attempt to see what happened and why, to see if there is something we can learn from this, and make it possible for you to discuss the issue with those involved if you would like to do so.

When the investigations are complete your complaint will be determined and a final response sent to you.

Where your complaint involves more than one organisation (e.g. social services) we will liaise with that organisation so that you receive one coordinated reply. We may need your consent to do this. Where your complaint has been sent initially to an incorrect organisation, we may seek your consent to forward this to the correct person to deal with.

The final response letter will include details of the result of your complaint and also your right to escalate the matter further if you remain dissatisfied with the response.

Complaining on behalf of someone else

We keep to the strict rules of medical and personal confidentiality. If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will require the written consent of the patient to confirm that they are unhappy with their treatment and that we can deal with someone else about it.

Please ask at reception for the complaints form which contains a suitable authority for the patient to sign to enable the complaint to proceed.

Where the patient is incapable of providing consent due to illness or accident it may still be possible to deal with the complaint. Please provide the precise details of the circumstances which prevent this in your covering letter.

Please note that we are unable to discuss any issue relating to someone else without their express permission, which must be in writing, unless the circumstances above apply.

We may still need to correspond direct with the patient, or may be able to deal direct with the third party, and this depends on the wording of the authority provided.

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome

You have the right to approach the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP
Tel: 0345 015 4033
8.30am–5.30pm Monday to Friday

Should you require independent support and advice with an NHS complaint please contact:

NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT

Please write ‘For the attention of the complaints team’ in the subject line.
Phone: 0300 311 2233 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm)

Patient relations:

North Yorkshire Clinical Commissioning Group
1 Grimbald Crag Court
St James Business Park
Tel: 01609 767607

ICA Independent Complaints Advocacy is free and provided by Cloverleaf Advocacy:

North Yorkshire NHS Complaints Advocacy Service
Tower Court, Oakdale Road, Clifton Moor, York, YO20 4XL
Phone: 0300 012 4241

Complaints about primary care can be made to the National Commissioning Board:

Central Contact Centre, PO Box 16738
Redditch, B97 9PT
Tel: 0300 311 22 33

Translate »